Serves 6 people
We would suggest this for either 4 or 6 special guests. It’s a proper treat ……
- 1kg beef fillet
- Olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 250g mushrooms – any sort
- 50g butter
- 100g water
- 1 beef or vegetable stock cube
- 10 slices Palma ham
- 500g pack of frozen puff pastry, defrosted (or make your own)
- Flour for rolling
- 1 egg, beaten
- Put your (precious) beef fillet in a roasting tin brush with olive oil and season with salt & black pepper. Roast in the hot oven for 20 mins – medium or 30mins for a little more cooked. Remove from oven and leave to cool.
- Chop your mushrooms until fine – should look like coarse breadcrumbs.
- In a frying pan add 1 Tablespoon Olive oil and fry mushrooms on a medium heat for approx. 3 mins, then add the water & stock cube and cook for about 10 minutes, there should be no moisture visible.
- Lay out 2 large pieces on cling film on the work surface and then lay the Palma ham on top, overlapping each piece with the next.
- Spoon and spread out the mushroom mix and season – then pop your cooled beef on top. Using the cling film, roll the ham around the beef fillet tightly – into a sausage shape, secure & pop in the fridge.
- Pre-Heat Oven 200C/400F/Gas6.
- When you are ready, roll out your pastry into a rectangle and place on a non stick baking tray.
- Remove cold beef fillet from cling film and pop your ham covered beef on the pastry. With the egg seal the pastry around the fillet, keeping the seal on the base.
- Decorate the top with pastry shapes, I usually do the initials of the guests. Brush the whole Wellington with egg.
- Bake 30 mins – medium -rare / 35 minutes medium.
- Leave to rest for 10-15 minutes, slice and serve.
This recipe is courtesy of Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy – for more easy recipes go to www.easypeasy-lemonsqueezy.co.uk