Awards & Accreditations
- Member of the Anglian Turkey Association
- Member of the Traditional Farmfresh Turkey Association
- Member of the British Poultry Meat Federation
- Founder Members of the Goose Producers Association
- Traditional speciality guaranteed – EU legislation provides a system to protect food names on a geographical or traditional recipe basis. The system highlights regional and traditional food whose authenticity and origin can be guaranteed. Wine and cheese were some of the first to benefit, and within the UK the Traditional Farmfresh Turkey was the first product to gain recognition with a designation for ‘Traditional Speciality Guaranteed’.
The Rare Breed Meat Company is Blackwells’ sister company.
The Quality Assurance Code from the Traditional Farmfresh Turkey Association (TFTA)
Our products are:
- Reared and produced with the greatest care by independent farmers dedicated to the production of the finest truly Traditional Farm Fresh Turkeys, who are committed to this code.
- Grown slowly to full maturity and prime condition.
- Fattened on rations containing at least 70% cereals with no animal protein and never given antibiotics or other additives for growth promotion.
- Housed in buildings giving both natural light and ventilation while providing essential weather protection, with space at or better than the Animal Welfare Code recommendations.
- Always handled with extreme care by experienced staff under the personal supervision of the farmer.
- Regularly bedded with comfortable straw or soft wood shavings.
- Grown on farms that are independently inspected to ensure that the Code is met in full.
- Slaughtered on the farm to avoid stress from long distance transportation.
- Always dry plucked and hung for a minimum of seven days to mature and develop the natural flavours unique to this Traditional type of production.
- Processed in facilities inspected by the local Environmental Health Officer to ensure that all legislation is fully complied with.
- Individually inspected and examined before qualifying for the Golden Promise guarantee to be affixed.
- Supplied with a money-back commitment in the unlikely event of consumer dissatisfaction. This commitment is guaranteed by the TFTA.